Monday, September 15, 2008

In Anchorage

Wow -- another week flew by. Super busy as we had the alternative fuels workshop Mon & Tue. Got home pat 11 on Mon. At least got yoga in Tue -- but was at another all day meeting Wed so got home late as well. Then on Thursday went to Ottawa to evaluate some proposals for the Canadian Government. Something called Business-Led Network Centers of Excellence.

By the time I got to Ottawa I was really out of it. Was riding in a Regional Jet. Fell asleep. Got up suddenly and hit my head. Then when the customs agent asked me who I worked for I stumbled on my answer. The next question was "what are you doing in Ottawa?" I had no clue what branch of Government I was dealing with (later established it was Health-Canada and Industry-Canada -- or something like it). I knew I was staying at the Marriott -- just not WHICH Marriott. And to top things off I took the wrong exit and ended up with the people to be searched. The customs agent eventually got me out and took me to the taxis. When I got to the hotel I tried to get into the wrong room. But then everything seemed to sort itself out after I went to the gym right before the meeting. The Canadians are just super -- always so well organized. And their ethics are superb -- the most transparent evaluation I have ever been a part of. We could learn from them!

Got home late Friday night. Somehow managed to get everything done that needed to get done on Saturday. Returned Presley (here she is playing with Sydney -- as soon as I can upload photos!) to her parents. Their house got a lot of water damage during the storm - I have almost forgotten its name -- Hana I think. So we took her in. Church Saturday night helped with calming -- amazing what that quiet hour can do.

Mark and I left for Anchorage this morning -- a business conference. The ICAS/ATIO conference -- Aeronautical Sciences and Aviation Operations combined. It took FOREVER to get here. Flying against the "Ike" winds -- so many hurricanes. The airport is gorgeous -- thanks to the largess of Ted Stevens -- the soon to be convicted Senator. So sad when public servants become corrupt. Always something minor.


Anchorage is an interesting town -- has this "frontier" feeling about it. Will be here till Thu AM -- Mark till Fri AM. I miss Sydney :-( Really wanted to bring him -- but it would have been a hard trip for him. He is with Lynn and Bailey. I present on Wednesday. Have so much to do -- I am going to have to stay in my room so and catch up. I should be tired -- it is 1 AM in the East Coast. But I foolishly drank two Pepsi's and a Coke. As I hardly ever have caffeine I don't see sleeping for a while ......

No comments: