Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Witnessing History

I know History will be made on January 20th -- but today I got to witness the type of history that I think will change the world in ways that will compare with the the printing press, the Wright Brothers flight, the Internet, satellites .....

Got to go down to Houston for Continental's biofuel demo (this photo has John from ATA, Billy from Boeing, Nancy from ATA, Rich from CAAFI, Leah from Continental and me and Nate from FAA). What was amazing is that in a short time since the Virgin flight -- this flight was on a twin engine aircraft (Virgin and Air New Zealand used 4 engine aircraft), the blend was 50% (Virgin used 20%) and the fuel was truly sustainable -- algae and jatropha. The day was picture perfect -- bright blue sky, 70s. The speeches from the usual suspects were somehow more inspiring. And you could sense the commitment we have to get it right this time (I started working in alternative fuels in '83 -- we gave it up around '86 thanks to the "glut"). The data will be priceless and I think will move us to getting the fuel approved for use a lot faster than any of us dreamed of. Achieving near carbon neutral energy, emerging markets for developing nations, increasing energy supplies -- the fact that all of us are at it even though the price of oil has dropped. I hope we keep the momentum and make this a reality. On Tuesday night a reporter asked me what attracted me to science and engineering -- I have been asked that 100 times but I think I have finally stumbled on the answer -- because you get the chance of making imagination reality. I think the Wright Brothers, Sir Frank Whittle and Hans Von Ohain, Amelia Earhart, Charles Lindbergh and so many others are looking down and are very proud today.



Oh yeah and I got to stand by the runway ... so 50s LOL

No comments: