Saturday, January 17, 2009

Worst Week Ever (so why am I smiling?)

Well -- not sure it was THE worst week ever -- but it was a hard week. I was sad 'cause Anthony was gone. Work was miserable. Had to give speeches on Sunday (yes, Sunday) and Tuesday. A presentation to a small group on Wednesday -- that somehow can't seem to understand the meaning of "Carbon Neutral Growth" --- dahhh boys and girls it means that if you grow your carbon output by 10% your efficiency needs to improve 10%. Or you use 10% renewable fuel (well more as no fuel is 100% renewable). Or you go to trading or taxes or charges. NOT rocket science!

The tasks kept flying in -- and getting folks to do stuff was tough. We have taken on a lot of work -- with same staff -- and people are tired. The moaning is something else though. It was hard with temp boss away and regular boss away. Plus departing politicals demanding stuff. Oh, yes, I am "so humble" -- but write me 100 good-bye letters -- and never mind going back and forth with commas and small changes. Helloooooo -- have you heard of e-mail? Just send an e-mail for goodness sake. But of course that also has to be written and re-written and edited again and again and again. We have important work to do -- I wish our leaders would join the 21st century. Sooner or later folks will leave and hopefully we will go paperless. I think a lot of it is the older Admin assistants who cannot let go.

I must have slept just 4 hours several nights -- trying to meet every deadline and review everything I asked someone to do. To no avail -- despite many deadlines met I do not think we advanced our agenda. Oh and that DL stuck me with doing most (if not all) of a common project we have to do. Some things never change!

Had a haircut today. Same as always. The Spa was empty -- guess a lot of folks cleared out of Washington. It took forever to leave the parking lot -- I thought something may have gone wrong or that traffic was all backed up. But no -- just everyone decided to leave at the same time and there was only one cashier. C'est le vie.

Oh well -- need to chill and get some sleep. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. And I just seem incapable of NOT smiling :-)

No comments: