Monday, July 27, 2009

Finally to Greenland (Kangerlussuaq)


Finally off to Greenland. Flew Air Greenland to Kangerlussuaq. No Business Class – but nice enough. Ironically half way home. Mark Lewis kept asking (on Facebook) why we were not going directly to Thule. He seems to forget he went on a military flight.
The air field was quite large – I guess left over by the American Air Force. I guess it sometimes serves as an emergency stop so it is mmaned 24/7. The “town” was hilarious – I cannot imagine there were more than a few hundred people – if that many. The Airport seemed to be “it”. The Hotel we stayed at and the Airport seemed to be combined. Our room was at the end of the runway. I thought the noise issue would be ironic – but it really wasn’t a problem at all.
Went on a “muskox” safari – which consisted of a drive and a bit of a walk. And spotting a couple of muskox really far away. I guess they are hunted so they are smart to hide. We then came back – and off on the Ice cap trip. Except I think we went with the wrong company. But it didn’t seem to matter.
The scenery was gorgeous – and the ice cap magnificent. Walked a bit to it and I got scared and stopped. I thought Mark would coax me but he didn’t so I stayed behind. When he came back I told him I was surprised he didn’t coax me. Amazing how after all these years sometimes we do not know each other!
Back for dinner (at the Hotel/Airport cafeteria) and off to bed ……

No comments: