Thursday, July 30, 2009

The Long Hike


Had to actually be ready to go by 10:45 today (shower could wait I reckoned). The “Long Hike” started out OK. The guide said it would take “4 or 5 hours” depending on “you people”. Not too hard to the coffee stop. Got a bit harder to the lunch break. Of course there was the inevitable up and down to get to the same spot. And Mark had to pull me.
Lunch was torture. Was feeling nauseous so could not eat. And there were so many mosquitoes – simply horrific. I took off early to get a head start – but soon enough everyone caught up. Then the hard stuff started. Horrible rocks. Up and up and up. Cursed Wildlife and Nature Travel over and over. As bad as up was – down was worse. Actually started to cry. No one noticed though because there were so many mosquitoes you could not see. Supposedly you could do this hike on crutches. . Right
Eventually made it down. Sore as anything. Did get some t-shirts (as I was not envisioning another trip to World of Greenland). When I crawled back to the hotel had to go to bed. I guess for a little bit I stopped worrying about Mark as he did fine on the hike (because he got enough asleep he said). After a while took a really hot shower and started to feel better. So forgot about all the cursing about Wildlife and Nature Travel and ready once again to go to Midway.
Our Hotel was having a Greenlandic buffet night – so they were booked. We walked to the only Restaurant in town seemingly not associated with one of the handful of hotels – a Chinese place. In Greenland. Where actually a bunch of locals were at. And still pricey (though not as bad as the hotel). Off to bed – finished reading my book (by the Shopaholic author – Maggie gave it to me). I had also read the book Mark gave me about Nigerian e-mail schemes. Africa is just so different. And so different from orderly, clean Greenland.
Sad to be leaving tomorrow. Would love to come here in the winter and see the Northern lights.

No comments: