Thursday, July 30, 2009

A Tour of the Town and a Night Cruise Among the Icebergs


Woke up at 8:30 to grab breakfast. Was going to wear my PJs (like in Antarctica) but thought better of it. Then right back to bed. Up at 2 PM (felt great).
We went for the town tour. We were the only ones on it. Two tour guides (one in training). Both were Danish teachers. An interesting town – but hard to stretch the tour to 90 minutes. The main tour guide said she loved Greenland (as did the previous day’s – she had 15 sledge dogs – which she says she doesn’t quite trusts but loves). We had dinner at the gorgeous restaurant in our hotel – I guess the bill must have included the view. We pretended we had Anthony and Juanchi with us – then the bill was OK.
Another little nap (Greenland is very conducive to napping). Off for the midnight cruise (which started at 10). I thought we were going the same route as the night before – but Mark insisted we were not. Which I guess we were not upon closer inspection. We went toward the fiord. The views were gorgeous – got some great pics. Sure got cold though. Not too bad when we stopped for the obligatory speech. But when we got going again it was FREEZING. I hid in the back – with two blankets. Everyone else seemed OK. Of course I was the only one born in the Caribbean! Some Danish guy came in the back and talked to us. He was travelling with his parents – had given up his job at University and had travelled in South America and the U.S. Might be going back for his Ph.D. No wonder the Danes are so happy -- #1 in happiness surveys I think. Of course talked about climate change – I cannot believe everyone thinks airplanes are so awful. I guess the good news is he gave me his e-mail in case I do need a place in Copenhagen during COP 15. But I’m banking on Carl going if someone has to go. I probably should not stay with potentially murderous strangers – even for climate change. Maybe Carl can stay with the potentially murderous stranger!
We walked home – it wasn’t too bad. Got some pictures at 12:30 AM – with bright sunshine. Feeling scared about the “Great Hike” on Thursday. The book makes it sound scary. I want out – but of course I told Mark on Monday he had to force me to do stuff so he took me at my word.

No comments: