Sunday, July 26, 2009

In Copenhagen and a Visit with Bjarne

Got to Frankfurt early Sunday. Mark seemed totally out of it – not even sure he was awake. Took charge of getting us from point A to point B. Messed up gates – but we found the nice lounge. Flight to Copenhagen uneventful. Mark still looking spaced out. So I get our luggage and get us to the Hotel. Was sure our room (free – at the Airport Hilton) would be ready. Except it wasn’t. But we only waited half an hour. Great snooze. Sent Bjarne (who we met on the African misadventure – and we had agreed to meet in Copenhagen as he was coming back from a trip himself) a Facebook message asking him to phone us when he got in. Forgot what time we agreed to meet. I guess it was 3 PM as that’s when he called. By then Mark was fine so he could get ready quickly and go down for beers while I got ready.
Bjarne took us to downtown Copenhagen. Had not been there since me and then four year old Anthony met Mark for a long weekend when we were living in London. Denmark is so kid friendly – kids everywhere. So of course I get a day we l sad and miss baby Anthony – who I know no longer exists – but in Copenhagen he is real. Had some drinks outside (needed a blanket). Walked to the train (via Tivoli’s – the amusement park where I took Anthony the day we spent on our own – Mark had booked us a room in the red light district but it didn’t really matter much as our schedule was so off from that of than the standard residents :-)).
Bjarne took us to his sister’s for dinner. He seemed to get lost walking there. His sister (and brother-in-law) were so nice. They sure did smoke a lot (which was ironic since their jobs center around cancer screening equipment). All the Danes seemed to smoke a lot. We had a nice “typical;” Danish meal. I somehow thought we would go out to eat so I neglected to bring a gift. Bummer. Maybe next time. Bjarne said he was thinking of possibly doing Akos’ Midway excursion as well. So if we go we may see him. Of course Akos has to get a permit from U.S. Wildlife (or whatever it is called). So who knows if he’ll pull it off.
Mark seemed perfectly natural around Bjarne. He always seems more animated around others. Why can’t I go a single day without worrying about him? I keep imagining all sorts of horrid scenarios and almost crying. I have GOT to stop this.

No comments: