Thursday, November 27, 2008

The Great Thanksgiving Flood

The day started out pretty ordinarily. Got up (at the last possible minute). I went to church (Father D's sermon outdid itself in saying nothing -- but that's not why I went). The boys went to see James Bond (again -- because Mark slept through it the first time). Picked up Pressley for the day (here she is helping me get points for Vaughn's shelter on Zootoo). Went to the Chart House in Old Town and had a great Thanksgiving dinner. Took all three dogs for a walk. Called Maggie's and talked to Mary and Lisa as well. Plotted a Black Friday shopping strategy (harmonized with work) .....

Then I was brushing Roma (for the second time today .... that dog sure has excess hair) and Anthony said he heard a noise downstairs. Turns out that the faucet in the bathroom on the main floor got left on -- which led to the sink overflowing. The sink overflowing in turn led to the bathroom floor flooding ... the water seeped through to the bathroom on the street level floor. Eventually a bunch of water went into the storage room. What a mess ... and all over the course of a couple of hours max.

Anthony helped me out quite a bit cleaning up. Cam watched. Mark slept through the mess ... only to wake up after it was mostly dried to growl. The storage room still is going to need some sorting and I have lots and lots of towels to wash. But all in all it could have been worse -- stuff happens. The boys (Cam and Anthony) are playing video games -- guess I was lucky to get the help I got. Mark is reading the paper. Wonder if he is awake ......

I continued to be amazed at the detached way in which I look at these "incidents". I ran around and cleaned up but if someone had a monitor on me I don't think they would have detected any anxiety at all. Funny I was just thinking of flooding Julia and Engracia's bathroom when I was a child in Havana. They worked in our house ... I was probably closer to them than anyone. In hind sight not such a nice thing to do -- though back then I would break into hysterics. No doubt they watched me cleaning up from their perch in heaven and laughed ......

I guess we survived the Great Thanksgiving Flood and we shall see what is next :-). I just heard a suspicious noise but it stopped so I can't tell what it was ......

No comments: