Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Got to see Sharon -- one of our Africa travel buddies!!!!!


I am so excited. My friend Sharon that we met on the trip to West Central Africa came to get me at the Hotel for dinner. It was so good to see her -- as if we had just seen each other yesterday. Reality was I had not seen her since we parted ways in Paris after our African adventure.

Funny to see each other looking "normal" Will post a photo when I have better connectivity. I guess the 12 of us will always share this experience that no one else will quite understand. And now few people will have it as some of the lodges we visited gave closed -- the victims of low oil price and the "this is Africa" effect. I'm very sad about that -- the poor gorillas. Without the protection that tourism brings they will probably be destroyed.

It was good to talk to her about Mark's medical issues as she understood the circumstances that probably caused them. She thought maybe a type of Lyme disease -- very possible given the elephant dung we walked in. I did not have any open sores but Mark did.

Funny -- I am ready to go to Africa. She is -- but NOT the same way. She is thinking of Madagascar as well. Maybe we can work something together -- she is such a good photographer. Sharon thought Mark's new camera (which I gave him but have taken over) was actually very nice. She said she could give me pointers if we travel together.

The GREAT news is she will be in DC in late July/early August -- so we will get to see her. I am sooooo excited about that. Seeing Sharon gave me the mental boost I so needed.

No comments: