Saturday, August 23, 2008

Drop Off @ School



On the road home from Pittsburgh. Drop off was hard - but not as hard as last year. And easier than I imagined. I am tearing up and had to hug my baby half a dozen times but no hysterical weeping.

Process was very smooth - I guess that's what you get at a top school. We got there around 11. By noon we had gotten keys, moved everything into Anthony's room and I made his bed and unpacked as much stuff as I could before Mark started getting impatient. We then went to the bookstore and got Anthony's books. Good thing about computer science is there doesn't seem to be many books so we got off relatively easy (two books, a work book and a notebook). Well "easy" EXCEPT for something called a "clicker" which was more than half the bill!!

Went to Union Grill for lunch - for the second time - which makes it a tradition :-). A's roommate Will (they have an efficiency - but it is 3x the size of last year's room) and Tilak who came to our place for Thanksgiving (he's from India) joined us. No tears like last year - I think in large part because Anthony seemed excited/happy to see his friends. He looked a tad sad saying bye to baby Sydney but that's to be expected. But at school there wasn't that forlorn look that so broke my heart last year. I feel the peace that I felt when I visited in September - he is where he needs to be and we are so blessed to afford his education.

At parent's weekend last year one of the speakers - trying to counsel "helicopter" parents read us this quote from Kahlil Gibran (author of the much quoted "The Prophet"). Your children are not your children ... For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow. And you cannot go there - not even in your dreams. How true. I am finding that the hardest part of parenthood is the letting go. Poor A would still be in his bassinet by my bed were it not for Mark moving him into his own room and "replacing" him with a baby monitor so I would be fooled by hearing him breathe :-). I am sure the process will continue to be hard - I have not let go of my lost baby - A's brother or sister - about 6 weeks inside of me and forever a part of me. One of those very hard things to come to terms with since if I had had that baby I would most likely not have become pregnant with A less than a year later. Biggest loss/biggest gain - an immediate realization of God's infinite love and kindness. I better stop as now I am crying. But crying makes you feel better so that's OK. :-). I'll post photos later - can't quite figure out how to get them from camera to BB!


P.S. Here are the photos -- one is A's apartment (nice view of courtyard -- very bright) and the other is at the "commons" -- the pole of knowledge?

No comments: