Thursday, March 5, 2009

Got to see the Prez ... and meet some future Prez ....


On Monday as I was zig zagging across the country I saw a message that the President and Vice President were going to be at the Department for an event with Secretary LaHood (lots of transportation projects stimulus). When Bush spoke in November (when I was Acting Deputy Assistant Administrator -- and because Nancy was away -- Acting Assistant Administrator) we could not give tickets away. But I had a feeling this was different. I wrote Carl and Nancy from Kansas City and "volunteered" to attend if there were tickets. Well -- a bit more than volunteer. Pres Obama makes me feel "normal" -- being multi-racial, growing up all over the place, no father, off center mother, too educated, and too addicted to his Blackberry.

I was pleasantly surprised to have an e-mail on Monday that Gary was hanging on to a ticket for me (we had to leave by 8 and he is in earlier than most). Went with Gary and Bob (and Roger -- who had a coveted orange ticket and got to seat closer -- we just had green tickets). So I got to see the Prez -- first time I saw a President live. Even though it was far back -- it was still neat. He sure is skinny! Which reinforces my aversion to cameras -- they sure add weight. And oh yes, Mark's camera died because I forgot to charge the battery. But someone shared photos with me .... Oh and on the way back Fanny -- the EEO head who I fear thinks I am a nut case had to rescue me from a derelict in the Metro. He started talking to me -- and I of course had to look him in the eye and respond. She pulled me to the side and started talking to me. Then lectured me on the dangers of the city.



Seeing the Prez then got me thinking about meeting JP's twins in Palm Springs. I call it early recruiting! If they are anything like JP better start setting deadlines now. And then again -- perhaps one or the other will be a future President -- they already have that "charm about them". They were just sooooo cute. I just loooove babies.




No comments: