Sunday, March 8, 2009

Wildlife and Nature Travel -- Africa Strikes Again: Madagascar

I just talked to Mark tonight and he told me Akos and Jessica (here cooling heels in Brazzaville) left our house early (plan was to stay till Monday) because Wildlife and Nature Travel's trip to Madagascar (for which Akos leaves in a few days) is unraveling.

Apparently the civil unrest is making people pull out and their insurance won't cover - and all his $ is sunk. It was also tied with Comoros. Oh and a bunch of flights were cancelled. Akos does have people on the ground - but I wonder if the company will survive this. I really wanted to go next year -- maybe it will be OK but one never knows. Perhaps Papua New Guinea or Mongolia is a etter option. Do want to cash in on frequent traveller bonis.

These two seem to attract their share of drama. Maybe that's why I like them. As a rule I don't like house guests but I reckoned they would be different ..... and they were. Very entertaining.

On a funnier note I "charged" Akos a photo session with Sydney as rent. Mark said he took lots of pix. But he rushed out without downloading. I hope he sends them. Sydney seemed to like Jessica but would not go to Akos as easily - who actually was trying to get him to come :-). If truth be told he tends to behave a bit like a cat at times.

The funniest thing yet though was that those guys are raising "rare" finches (who live with their cat -- in a no pets apartment). So they spent some time calling around trying to find them. They already have some and were looking for mates. They were going to pick them up en route home (I did point out that I had no idea what Sydney would do to finches - rare or not). I can't help but think that may also not turn out so well ...... At least Jessica is pretty close to settling into grad school. Good thing that Akos' motto is "The Worse the Better". Like Mark said -- two people totally off center who are somehow perfect for each other! Amazing that she just happened to take the study abroad trip with Michigan State University -- and met Akos (ironically we were on that trip). Someone ought to write a book -- or a series about them. A bit like the Shopaholic series LOL. Only their addiction is dramatic trips with lots and lots of glitches.

No comments: