Saturday, October 18, 2008

Back Home

Still cannot believe the series of miracles that took us from the Doli Lodge in Central African Republic -- 6 hours on the river -- Bombassa -- 5 hours on the river -- Ouesso -- mad dash for Air Congo -- Brazzaville -- safely into Air France in a bit over 30 hours. God really worked wonders.

Another small miracle -- the gate in Frankfurt is close to the arrival gate so no more checks. Get to go to the Lufthansa lounge (with Sharon). Even though I ate breakfast on the flight (the joys of the moist towel and the cereal with milk!) I eat some more -- and proceed to get sick. But that's OK.

Saying goodbye to Sharon is really hard -- now the group is really apart -- and I was closest to her. I do hope I see her again ..... and Claire. And Jessica .... And the others. Actually feel sad.

We are not in Economy Plus like we were supposed to be on United -- they changed our seats even though we are both Gold members -- but that's OK -- we are almost home -- just 9 hours in a comfortable plane with no crocodiles anywhere nearby!

We land in IAD and marvel at how long we have gone since being asked for a bribe. I want to hug the TSA agents -- but think better of it. I enjoy watching luggage delivery -- it is so orderly. The taxi with its meter is awesome -- and then I talk to Lynn's Mom and find out Sydney is back at our house. Seeing him is incredible -- how I missed him. He does not play coy -- I have never seen a happier dog. It is good to be home -- thank you God!

Would I do this again? Probably not any time soon -- I see Greenland in next year's itinerary ... although we are also thinking about Mauritius. And Colombia is all set for January :-).

Having said that -- I do not think anyone but Akos (and Jessica -- in photo) could have done this. There is no end to the man's patience and ability to see good in any situation (he has after all been arrested 7 times -- once in his native Hungary for an actual petty crime and six times -- he thinks -- in Africa to shake him down for money -- and still he has faith in eco tourism and the good we can do for Africa). I learned I have a depth of inner resources to withstand discomfort, fear, danger, etc. that I would have thought impossible three weeks ago. I hope I am nicer and more appreciative of what we have. And we met some very interesting people at least some of which I hope will become life long friends. And like Carl said -- with time this will become a family legend

Will I travel again with Akos and Jessica? Probably -- but just not next year :-) Would I recommend them? ABSOLUTELY -- they certainly know how to provide a ride :-).

Mark asked me if I have learned a lesson (yes, I did talk him into this -- but he went willingly) and quenched any thirst for adventure? In Brazzaville I would have said absolutely. In Alexandria ... I am not too sure :-)

No comments: