Thursday, October 9, 2008

Survived the African Train

After we took off things actually got worse, if that is possible. Our cart was the only one whose air conditioning was broken -- I was actually sweating which is very odd for me. Mark mercifully fell asleep before we took off so even though he was soaking wet he did not know it.

After people who paid for "first class" seats sat down -- then all other space was a free for all. People were everywhere -- families with kids sleeping on the floor. Somewhere throughout the night two guys got arrested and chained to the door. Andy thought he heard the french word for thief. I have no idea what the word for thief in French is -- in Spanish is ladron so perhaps something like it.

Mark went to the bathroom and came back and HIGHLY recommended that I don't drink anything. Akos was under the delusion that we would be served dinner -- he had asked for a comparison between this train and the TGV. He was told if TGV is 10 this was a 7. Reality was negative 100! Eventually he gave up and got us each 1/2 a baguette. I gave most of mine to Mark -- certainly did not feel like eating. Plus I had some plantain chips left from lunch -- Akos and Jessica had bought us sandwiches at the airport -- all meals included being a bit loose -- but I did not want a sandwich and bought the chips for 1 Euro. They did not offer to refund me (the price of a sandwich seemed to fluctuate between 3 and 6 Euros -- once the folks behind the counter decided our group had money). But all of this was fine -- what really got to me was the roaches around my seat. At their sight I literally had to turn myself off and simply go to sleep. By now it was way past the 1:30 AM arrival so I took off my contacts and off I went.

When we got to Lope station Sharon had to wake us up. Jumping off the train was something else -- under the watch of the chained thieves. Had to walk across the tracks -- and as I was wearing no deet now I have tons of bites (miraculously I escaped bites for a week -- even though I was using the same stuff as Mark). Things started looking up a bit when I actually saw some of the luggage -- though I did have a few things in my carry on that probably would have gotten me through the remaining 9 days. Not so much Mark though! All of our bags but one were there -- Spyros'. After this trip he is travelling for several more months (he owns a pharmacy and he and his business partner only stay in Greece six months). Akos is looking for his bag (he has a tag).

Speaking of Spyros -- he has this large, very heavy yellow bag that he will not let go of. We all want to see what's in it. Well, at least the women. We thought about bribing the security official to let us look but that would be too obvious. Yesterday the bag got searched but only Mark could see and he did not look (unbelievable).

Lope "Hotel" is actually quite nice (Akos, Jessica, Bjarne, Andy and me in the "lounge"). It was the first National Park Lodge built in Gabon -- and it could be gorgeous. The views are to die for -- again -- the worse the better. But like everything in Africa -- decay seems to have set in. The gorgeous pool is empty. The bungalows are shabby inside (but I do not care -- have hot water and electricity -- and even a very funny a/c that everyonce in a while seems to explode and throw parts). Got to watch CNN a bit -- which was not such a good thing. The global banking crisis is totally depressing -- a good time not to have a lot of $ :-). The loss in value of our house is a bummer but hopefully it will recover some before we sell -- when we hopefully retire. The way the economy is going will be a miracle if anyone can retire! But at least our house is still worth almost double what we paid -- so that's good.

Skipped the game drive this morning. Got up for breakfast at 8 AM but came back to bed. Meant to sleep till 1:30 PM but the noises etc. did not cooperate and we were up by noon. At least had a nice shower and organized my clothes -- both of our bags are getting a lot lighter as we leave clothes behind. Hope people are finding them useful -- particularly mine -- which are in pretty good shape but I have not worn in years and one person does not need so much stuff. Will have lunch at 2:30 PM then a game drive. Trying to check e-mail at work -- but while connecting to my Blog is easy -- can't see to get a good connection to work e-mail. Maybe that's best -- I'm sure Carl would let me know via text message if something major happened. Have not heard from Lynn -- will try calling tonight or tomorrow as I do worry about Sydney.

I am a bit scared of going off to Congo tomorrow. Sao Tome and Gabon are less scary and corrupt. Supposedly Akos has hired someone to navigate us through Congo and Central African Republic -- which is a good thing as the poor guy keeps having to bribe people right and left .....

2 comments:

Unknown said...

try again.... argghhhhhhhh

Unknown said...

I can't believe it... YOU survive weeks in the wild, and I'm having trouble figuring out how to leave a comment.... technology is wonderful?