Thursday, October 23, 2008

Home Almost a Week

Been home almost a week. Well, sort of home -- I left for Chicago on Tuesday. Go home tomorrow (Friday) -- God willing. No Air Congo shenanigans -- just the possibility of snow in Chicago.

Tomorrow is my last day of malarone (malaria pill). It is driving me nuts -- the upset stomach; the weird dreams; the general "out to lunch" feeling. Funny how quickly that "glad to be alive" feeling dissipates. I've told different bits of the experience to folks in Chicago this week -- it seems surreal -- the more time that passes the more it feels like something I read in a book.

Going to start a rotation on "the 10th floor" November 3rd. My job title is ludicrous -- the sort of thing that only happens in Washington. Acting Deputy Assistant Administrator for ........ I am a bit scared .... has been a while since I didn't know exactly what I was doing. On the other hand I am looking forward to that feeling of learning something new every day. And it is temporary. I will miss my regular job -- and the folks I work with every day. And I will miss Carl -- he should be a "last boss" -- because no one could possibly compare. The good news is that the experience surely will not be as bad as the 17 hours in the canoe with the crocodiles. Then again dealing with LF in Montreal was a 1000 times worse than the canoe and crocodiles.

Watched survivor Gabon tonight. Ha, Gabon is for sissies. Call me when you've done "Survivor, Central African Republic." A small part of me does miss Africa .... even the mice. The "Worse the Better" :-)

Looking forward to tomorrow. Interesting conference, no speaking role, and then home. And I should not have to get on a plane until we go to Columbia in late January! Will visit Anthony 1 November -- but plan to drive. Maggie should come as well -- looking forward to seeing her .....

No comments: