Friday, October 17, 2008

On to Ouesso

Wake up at 1:30 AM. No sign of the mouse in the bathroom. Folks are slow – but we do get loaded up. We hear thunder and see a lot of lightening – but none where we are at. Set off shortly past 2 AM (a miracle!). A bit over three hours till sunrise and the moon is bright. The motor turns off several time as we go – cannot tell if for gas or a problem.

We are making good time – but there are scares, pit stops. And a stop to return the borrowed paddle and fix a spark plug issue. Laurie gives away her sneaker to a very lucky local who happened to be standing by the shore (wonder what effect this will have on the villagers J)

Later found out we were steps away from having to use the 15 hp motor – which would have meant slowing down and possibly missing the flight. Once more we are en route and before too long we see Ouesso. I feel some relief as my Blackberry can work in Ouesso – so we can ask for help. Of course I am also relieved not to see camera crew on shore – as on Tuesday I had SMS Houieda and told her I needed rescuing – contact our Congressman! Also Carl -- but I think he is better at ignoring my drama.

We get off the boat – say goodbye and thank the boatmen (they had a much harder time – they had to work through the night). Decide to give away the umbrellas that we had bought Tuesday (Jessica’s idea – greatest move of the trip – protected you from rain, sun and wind – never go to Africa without one (which I hadn’t)). This created a near riot as we wanted the boatmen to have them but some locals took them.

No comments: