Saturday, October 18, 2008

Back to Paris

Arrived in Paris at around 6:30 AM. Would kiss the ground if I was outside. The passport control process is heavenly – an orderly line – the Congolese “elite” ha to wait along with everyone else. The cleanliness and professional behavior is almost dazzling. The airport is crowded but it feels like we are alone.

The process of saying goodbye starts. Spyros hurries off (he went to DRC while we did Central Africa -- says it makes Brazzaville seem like Paris). Then goodbye Laurie and Bjarne who just had carry on. Then Andy (Andras). Jessica, Sharon, Mark and I are together. Sanya and Akos (and then Claire) go on the shorter UK line – so we say goodbye. We of course all meet again at luggage. And say goodbye again to Jessica and Sanya. Claire, Sharon, Mark and I go off to Terminal 1 so we go together. I love the little train – so efficient! Say goodbye to Claire – who will be home eating lunch in Dublin while we are en route to the USA. I will miss Claire – her sunny personality and mischievousness. I can feel the tears starting to come.

Sharon, Mark and I go to Lufthansa. Sharon is able to switch to our flight so we will be together a bit longer. We see Akos and Jessica again – and say goodbye again :-).

We go through security with lots of forgotten “emergency” water bottles (which the Africans did not care about). They all get thrown away …. It does not matter.

Somehow our free tickets were in business class for the Lufthansa leg to Frankfurt so we get breakfast vouchers. The chocolate croissant and cappuccino (same meal as on 30 September) never tasted so good. I keep using the bathroom – it is so clean. I brush my teeth with tap water for the first time in weeks – feels so good. Everything feels so good – like seeing the West and all its marvels with fresh eyes. This feeling alone is worth the price of the trip! Amazingly we see Akos again (he is going to Munich). Another goodbye. And finally off to Frankfurt (and the lounge -- here I am with Sharon) … another step closer to home!

No comments: