Monday, October 6, 2008

Walking around Sao Tome

Walked around the town a bit. First time I've felt safe doing so in Africa. People were curious but not aggressive. Nice views -- although run down. The market was very interesting. Tried to buy some flip flops for Mark -- but they only had up to size 11. Locals had a lot of fun with the idea of size 16. Tried to buy some deodorant for Mark but could not agree on a price. He only has enough for a week -- will be interesting to see whether I succumb to the smell and give him mine (I really don't think organic lavender deodorant will do any good) or just say to myself "This if Africa". We now have some local currency but I cannot get him to agree to leave the cafe we are having lunch at and get some. We will see who wins.

This being Akos tour he has done his signature change of plans -- now we are touring in the afternoon. But that means a free day tomorrow. Of course I was planning on TWO goofing off days by pleading sickness :-) C'est le vie -- this is Africa ......

No comments: